Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Learning emergency procedures

I've been kinda slack about actually memorizing the emergency checklists. Our plane has 4 -- engine out on takeoff, engine out in flight, fire during startup, fire in flight.

Engine out in flight I've pretty much got down. What I've been doing to commit it to memory is every day when I go into work and sit down at my desk, I pull out a piece of paper and write it all down. The first few times I had to double-check against the list I previously had copied into a post for easy access. Now it's easy, and since there's a pattern to it it's even easier to "logic" my way through it...

-- ABC (airspeed -- best glide -- 80mph, best landing site -- select and head to it, checklist)

-- try to restart
---- Carb heat on, mixture rich, fuel to both, mags to both or try them individually

-- communicate the emergency
---- squawk 7700, mayday on 121.5 (plane, position, people), brief the passengers (what's happening, when exiting move toward the back and where to meet, etc)

-- shutdown and prepare to land
---- mix/mags/master/fuel to off, seats and seatbelts secure, store items, brace, doors ajar just before touchdown

Starting tomorrow, I'll add the engine failure on takeoff procedures to my self-quiz.

2 comments:

  1. Do you get the AOPA magazine? There's a very interesting article in there about engine failure on takeoff and how much stick pushing it takes to prevent a near-instant stall. Maybe not something to add to the worry list but definitely interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul -- Thanks for the pointer! I walked in the door tonight after my flight and there on the kitchen counter was just that copy of the mag! I look forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete