Monday, November 20, 2006

Winds NOT unreliable

After today's flight, I stopped in at the FBO and chatted with the friendly folks inside (Jean, the airport manager, and Bill and Charlie, the senior linemen/UNICOM operators/everything else). During the course of conversation, the local AWOS came up and I asked when they were going to have the wind reporting checked out. They just kinda looked at me for a second like I was crazy.

"You do know there's a NOTAM saying the winds are unreliable, right?"

They knew that there was one that had been issued at the end of June that was supposedly canceled two or three weeks later. Apparently the cancellation had never gone through.

Bill hopped on the phone to flight service that very moment and reissued the cancel request. I just checked using AOPA's flight planner, now ~2 hours after Bill's call, and the NOTAM is gone.

Huzzah for reliable wind reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment