Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Side effects of flight training, part 1

Several things have changed in my life or daily routine since starting flight training. I'm going to post about them periodically, and would love to hear of corollaries in your lives.

These segments I'll call "side effects of flight training."

Part 1: The panel scan
I noticed while driving out to the airport yesterday that periodically my eyes would check traffic positions, drop to the gauges, do a scan, then pop back up to the traffic. This happened with relatively high frequency, like every 30 seconds or whenever the traffic situation was expected to be "stable" for a few seconds.

It used to be that I'd only check the speedometer with any frequency, and that usually only when (1) a police car was in sight or (2) I wasn't just fitting in with the flow of traffic. And the fuel gauge upon startup, sometimes.

Now there's a full and systematic assessment of all 6 gauges.

Neat! :)

2 comments: