Friday, November 10, 2006

Nerves + excitement

It's a beautiful day here. Gorgeous. 388 had been scheduled to be out of town but that trip was cancelled so I'm heading out to the airport at 1 pm. TAFs predict ~5kt winds, mostly as crosswind.

As soon as I scheduled the plane 10 minutes ago, my tummy started clenching and I got jittery. At the same time, though, I picture myself sitting in the car at the airport going over everything and chilling out, so it's not so bad.

I haven't decided what my maneuver card will say today. Steep turns, power-on stall, slow-flight maneuvering, power-off stall, pattern and landings. That sounds good. I'm still uncertain about anticipating the wind for turns around a point, so I don't see the value in practicing that or S-turns today.

On the other hand, I will likely not be able to concentrate on work and may end up researching that instead!


Edit: I've been looking at "See how it flies!" and its maneuvers section. There's some good stuff in there. I will probably try this one today.

Edit: Too much! Overload! I read through a lot of the maneuver stuff on that page and talked about some things with Husband and it became obvious that I don't truly understand how it works and so I became frustrated to the point of tears. Right now I really think it will be more valuable this afternoon to just do the same thing as last time, maybe even less. You see, I had been thinking about slips and crabbing and wind correction and the turns around a point and how I could get the whole process straight in my head (see the next post!) and was just getting more and more frustrated. To the point of tears. Being up there and doing it is much easier than being down here trying to reason through it. At this stage, at least. I mean, the repitition of seeing how to deal with crosswinds on landing is really helpful and is making it sink in, but how it works in my head and how it feels to me is different from how it apparently really works and that's frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment