Wednesday, November 22, 2006

NTSB Preliminary report from Nov 12 crash

Here.

It surprises me to see that they describe it as VMC (and later they do give the quantitative numbers to support that, but it's still hard to believe that that day was ever that clear). The PHF (12 nm from JGG) reports they cite indicate much worse conditions.

Also, it says they had 10 degrees of flaps down. I don't know what that plane's standard procedures are for short-field takeoff (as requested when departing 31), but that just seems weird to me for conditions and whatnot. The pilot had 2140 hours at the time of his last medical, so he probably knew what he was doing.

Geez, it's hard to say "he probably knew what he was doing" given how it went. And it makes my stomach knot up to say any of this, to question his decisions like I'm some jerk with enough knowledge or experience to pass judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment