Friday, January 05, 2007

Solo x-c prep

[Update: Dammit, it's looking gusty tomorrow, with base winds near my x-wind limits...]

I'm hoping to finish out the solo x-c requirement tomorrow. I'd like to leave around 10 am, but right now they're saying a cloud deck at 1000' until lunchtime, so it may be delayed a tad.

The plan will be JGG->CHO->JGG for ~2 hours of flying time plus land/taxi/takeoff. I'll have to see how the Hobbs is going on the way home and maybe divert down to AKQ or something if the winds have shortened the trip. Or maybe go past JGG to PHF for the last towered airport landing. Or go JGG->CHO->PTB->JGG.

I just don't know! :) Depends on how the weather shapes up.

1 comment:

  1. Hey K,

    Sorry this is a late night post after a few brew but here is my take on x-wind landings ;)

    Basically cross wind landings come down to aileron into the wind and opposite rudder.

    Now after having many new FO's doing cross wind landings of 20 knots or greater I get antzy. But personally I find the only difference between those who are able to do it and those who can't are those who think they can.

    Not to sound lame with positive thinking but its true. I mean the max demonstrated for the PC12 is like 15 knots but I have landed in much worse. Basically it comes down to you flying the plane or it flying you. There is obvious limits to this but I think the biggest barrier to new pilots is confidence.

    When I was a new FO I always looked at it as if I was single pilot and the Captain wasn't here what would I do. That way you don't compare yourself to what he/she would do but just what you would do to get the airplane safely down.

    Limits are a good thing and give us safe room to grow in but just remember one day you won't have them so build up your skill so that you can handle anything (within reason).

    Love the stories and keep em coming !

    FD

    ReplyDelete