Sunday, January 07, 2007

Bleh

I spent about 8 hours today cranking through the remainder of the Jeppesen FliteSchool groundschool software, and redid all of the practice questions.

I haven't taken the official software test yet, the one that I can print out to get credit for the groundschool prereq. I'll do that after taking a few more online practice tests.

I just took my first practice test at sportys.com, and got a 95. One question I missed because I didn't read the answers carefully enough. One I missed because I couldn't remember what the min vis requirement is for VFR above 10000' MSL (it's 5 sm; I answered 3 sm). The third was a calculation error that I'll have to go back and review; time en route should have been 8 minutes but I got 11 minutes.

There's so much rote memorization. I kept a list of things I know I'll just have to re-memorize right before the test. Like FAR 43.7 allows a private pilot to perform preventive maintenance. Like whether the word category or class means airplace/rotorcraft/etc or normal/utility/acrobatic with regard to airmen/aircraft.

Maybe I'll feel good enough about it to take the written this week. Right now I just feel drained.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck taking your written. But, definitely wait until you have your energy and don't feel tired. Often if is very easy to just think through the logic of the question to get the correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your pain. I am procrastinating my instrument written. I haven't been able to bring myself to fire up the practice tests since before Xmas.

    It is ALL memorization. I think they should just ditch the written and it should all be a practical/oral test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree with john, by the time I took my two written tests I knew most of the answers without reading the questions, thanks to the Gleim books.

    mind you, being a foreigner I am at a disadvantage. when the questions asks what kind of front is over Wisconsin, say, I have no idea where on the map that is :) One reason I really hate the wx questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, fellas. I'm not as weirded out about it now as I was before the weekend, now that my spongy gray muscle is filled up!

    Paul - I am totally ashamed to admit that while studying a section about weather depiction and prog charts, I had to consult a (labeled) map to be positive that I was looking at the right state... My excuse is being of the geographically-challenged sex. ;)

    ReplyDelete