Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Time to get cracking...

January. Must finish flight training.

I'm fairly close. Night flying is the last area in which I need to receive instruction. I have a few more requirements to meet, like another 2.1 hours of x-c time and two more landings at a towered airport.

But what got me going this morning was looking at the schedule for 35388 and seeing that it will be gone for a long trip from Feb 1-16. I think I'll be better off to get things done before that than to have a forced 2+ week hiatus right at the end.

The big hurdle, though, is the written. I'm going to forgo the self-imposed task of reading straight through the rest of the book and instead focus on the test guide and sample tests. That'll illustrate where I need more in-depth knowledge, and I can hit the big books in more focused bursts.

4 comments:

  1. But if you finish this month, what will I read next month!! :)

    Night flying was a killer for me in finishing up, added about a month to my time because the night fog rolled all the time and we couldn't go VFR. Hopefully you don't have those problems on the other coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    Maybe next month I'll start instrument training. Ha, just kidding! :) Me and my wallet will need a break...

    Crossing fingers for no fog... The next few nights are supposed to be pretty nice around here. If I can get in touch with Chuck, we'll see if we can take advantage of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The written guides are good, I used Gleim for Private and Instrument and now Commerical. But equally good are the on-line tests, which allow you to crack out a few minutes of answering questions any time you want. I've used the free tests available from sportys.com and faatest.com, but have also indulged and purchased the modules from Dauntless Software (www.checkride.com). Good stuff from them, with lots of different options on how to cycle the questions and answers. (NB: I am NOT a paid shill, just a satisfied used).

    ReplyDelete
  4. checkrides.com looks interesting. I have used Gleim to pass all my exams but with my Commercial prep now out of date they want to charge me for a new copy, which I don't want to buy again. Biggest thing I see with Gleim though is that they will print out the test authorisation for free.. maybe I just need to work out the costs.

    ReplyDelete