Friday, December 01, 2006

Possible x-c routes

My ability to focus on work is totally hosed now. That big outstanding "what will we do on Monday?" question is much more interesting than writing a heat map visualization tool for mass spectra-based disease classification results.

So I'm thinking two possibilities right now, either one of which will require approval from Chuck. Whenever Google Earth finally finishes downloading, I'll take a look at the route that way and also I've gotta check the sectional(s) when I get home.

Possibility the first:
KJGG -> RIC (33 nm, Class C) -> KLYH (90 nm, Class D) -> KLVL (75 nm, untowered) -> KJGG (59 nm)

    Pros:
  1. Class C & Class D airspaces, both on the early side of the trip when I'll be fresher.
  2. Lynchburg field elevation is 938', which is higher than anything around here, so that'll be different.
  3. The eastern third of the trip will look familiar.

    Cons:
  1. Still kinda long (2:28 flight time)
  2. Flies over Farmville MOA (ceiling 5000'), so I'll have to determine how we'd leave KLYH in order to avoid it (above or around?), and overflies Pickett Two (restricted up to 10000'), so I'll have to determine how we'd get around to KLVL.
  3. The sectional will say for sure, but there don't appear (from AOPA RTFP) to be many natural landmarks for pilotage on this route.

    Other:
  1. 257 miles, 2:28


Possibility the second:
KJGG -> KECG (64 nm, Class D) -> KRZZ (75 nm, by way of CVI VOR) -> KJGG (68 nm)

    Pros:
  1. Class D airspace, first waypoint.
  2. Much of the trip would be familiar territory.
  3. The legs are not too long, though in all honesty the numbers show them as similar to the other route (except for that 90-nm leg).
  4. KECG->KRZZ has good natural landmarks.

    Cons:
  1. Too simple?
  2. Too short?

    Other:
  1. 207 miles, 2 hours


Neither of these trips (with no wind) would require refueling; the first would use 22 of 28 gallons, the second 18. Both routes have airports with fuel available. Both give exercise with VORs, different airports, at least one towered airport, opportunities for pilotage (duh, right?), ...

Or maybe it'll be something completely different...

4 comments:

  1. K,

    Calm down, my friend. Remember, your first dual cross country isn't supposed to be long and complicated. It isn't an audition for Delta Airlines. The purpose of your first dual cross country is to practice the basic skills you will need to navigate your airplane.

    My first dual cross country was to an airport that was 52.5 nm from my home airport, just far enough to be legal (although the route was about 75 nm as flown). I gained a lot of confidence on that flight.

    So, bottom line: Don't worry if it isn't long enough or isn't challenging enough. Meet the FAA requirements, practice your skills, and enjoy yourself. When you get back, pat yourself on the back and treat yourself to a bottle of Two Shilling Red.

    Cheers,
    Big Country

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first one was 25 miles and my instructor was prompting me asking where I thought the field was. He never made any comments when I made my radio calls till he said are you sure you know where the airport is ?

    I looked straight down and we flew right overtop at 3500 feet ;)I still thought we had another 10 miles !

    As for airspace, I used to have a fear of it and now I find its the only time I feel better knowing that the controller knows who's around. I am sure you will but just get flight following right off the bat, therefore avoiding any TFR's, restricted airspace and free traffic call outs.

    Have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Big Country and FD!

    BC -- you have obviously been around Wmsbg... (For others, Two Shilling Red is made by the local Williamsburg Winery.)

    Thanks for the advice, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K,

    Before my wife (the Chief Photographer) and I got banished to San Diego by our good ole Uncle Sam, we were proud residents of Tidewater. She grew up in Norfolk and I lived in Chesapeake. We're trying to work a deal now to get back to Charlottesville, somewhat closer to home. Keep your fingers crossed.

    Cheers,
    BC

    ReplyDelete