Saturday, December 16, 2006

No solo x-c today

I had planned to do my first solo x-c today.

I spent several hours last night planning it out. It seemed like a good length (~156 nm) with good waypoints and interesting navigation paths (like using VOR fixes to route between Class C airspace and an MOA). Stuff I'd learn from but not be overwhelmed by.

At about 8:30, a wave of exhaustion just swept over me, and I could hardly keep my eyes open to finish the nav log. I wrapped it up, emailed the plan to Chuck, and went to bed.

But I couldn't sleep. At first it was just the usual thing where my brain wasn't done planning and still wanted to think through things. The plan was to meet at 9:00 at the JGG terminal to review, then I'd go at 10. That meant I'd need to get up ~7:30 to have a leisurely morning. But we were out of breakfast foods, so I'd have to go by Starbucks or something like that. And I wanted some snacks to take with me, because I'd rather fly the route and not have to find lunch along the way, so I'd need to go to the grocery store or a convenience store on the way. And then there was the matter of not having scrutinized the sectional for alternate airports in the case of a problem, so I'd need to get up extra early to find and print the appropriate diagrams.

It was turning into one thing after another, and before long I was getting worked up in a bad way. My heartbeat was too fast, my gut had that clenched-yet-hollow feeling. I kept telling myself it was stupid, that there'd be time for everything, that if something did go wrong I'd have to GPSs, etc. But it was no use, and I just didn't get much sleep.

At 6:30 I finally gave up and got up. I emailed Chuck to let him know that I was in no shape to fly and was postponing the x-c. It sucks, because it's gorgeous around here today -- mid-60s, cloudless, light winds...

Around that time I had come to the conclusion that the route was too aggressive for my first x-c. I still haven't totally ruled that out, but I think the real fundamental problem is that I don't feel prepared for that route for all the reasons mentioned above. I'll try to take a look at it again this afternoon and maybe it'll feel better.

Then again, I'm soooo sleepy!

7 comments:

  1. K,
    You really need to relax :)

    Being keen is one thing but you put yourself through enough stress to take the enjoyment out of it.

    I have said before I used to go over every detail when I went to a new airport which obviously in the beginning is all of em ! So I found it took some of the fun out of it by being tired and thankful it usually went well.

    Now when I go somewhere I do due diligence in checking notams, approachs available, hours of operation and fuel. That pretty much covers any big boo boos I might make.

    As for thinking of diversions if there are problems just keep yourself in a mind set of having someone on your shoulder asking, what would happen if this happened ? What if the weather went out now what would I do ? If the engine fails now how fast can I type a love letter to all my loved ones, pick up reception and hit send before I plant it in :)

    I find when the weather is marginal and there are strong winds to contend with when I am climbing out I try and make a no return point in my head each departure. Apparently with a 20 kt headwind in the PC12 your glide angle is like 6-7 degrees.

    I don't know what to say but just relax and don't worry :)

    Maybe that's why I started drinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K,

    Back to my comment from the other week. Remember, this isn't an audition for Delta Airlines, it's a friggin solo xc. Don't sweat it so much. From your posts, it seems like you are getting buried in a lot of details (which program does better flight planning, etc). Just try to relax and have fun!

    Cheers,
    BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. FD, that was supposed to help?!?!?!!!! I'll take your basic point -- relax. And I'll have to work on it, because it doesn't come naturally when I'm doing something new that I want to do well. (And something where my life and possibly the lives of others are at stake!)

    FD and BC -- Right now, I have control of my planning. I can't control whether the engine seems rough in the air, or most other things for that matter. The very best I can do is go up with a solid plan with known contingencies, and that's what I shoot for. Obviously, it has its moments of totally stressing me out, but I honestly don't know whether I would willingly put less effort into planning. Yet. :) Knowing I'll have the GPSs offers some reassurance, but batteries die and electrical systems fail. In the end, if I have only my brain and some papers to rely on, I want to have those!

    We're planning to fly to SC and GA for Christmas, weather permitting, with Husband from the right seat and me doing all the work. And you know what? I have zero apprehension and expect to do very little planning. For one, he'll be PIC! For another, we won't be trying to hit dead reckoning techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I don't want to sound ungrateful -- I do take your comments to heart and I do want flying to be fun, and it usually is... it's just this stupid obsessive personality... Seriously, thank you for "being there"!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey K !

    Sorry for not offering more support other then "relax", but I think you have every other avenue covered except that one ;)

    I think the trip to GA will be great experience, and since J is PIC that's as good as no consequences for your actions ! (Legal ones ;) sorry J ;)

    I understand youe connection to the planning portion. Because you can sit down and take your time doing it and things aren't happening at 100 knots.

    Now does the husband get worked up over planning too ? It will all come with experience so try not to be hard on yourself.

    So are ya'll ready for Christmas ?
    FD

    ReplyDelete
  6. K,

    Apologies if we didn't sound supportive. You're doing great! Just trying to help you keep the stress levels down.

    I know where you're coming from as I was the same way when I was a student doing XC's (only a few short months ago). I could tell you the runway length of my destination airport to within feet and the frequency of every VOR within 100nm of my track.

    When you get down to GA and SC, say hi to my native states for me. My family is from the upstate GA/SC region (around Lake Russell/Lake Hartwell).

    Cheers,

    BC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I feel like a big jerk! I do feel that you guys are supportive -- this community of blogging pilots or flying bloggers or whatever you'd call it is great. I suppose it was the 36+ sleepless hours that made me come off as critical of you, FD and BC, when that is absolutely not how I feel!

    A pointer to relax is good. It's not one that I can easily, immediately adopt into my flight routine, but I will certainly try. :)

    ReplyDelete