Sunday, October 15, 2006

Flying slave, part 2

Ha ha ha... We just flew back from our weekend with the in-laws and this time I did all the flying except for the flare back at JGG, which I was starting to do but was not doing aggressively enough so Husband assisted. Husband had a nice, easy trip with me at the helm! :) I jokingly say that I'm his flying slave now -- he has me doing the preflight, taxiing, takeoffs, flying, pattern work, and soon enough the landings, too! He does the communicating with ATCs and handles flight-following and all that jazz, and I talk to the local traffic and UNICOMs.

It was very calm today and we had a mild tailwind. We flew at 5500' for most of the trip, and I was able to trim up and do "two-finger flying" for a lot of it, meaning just the thumb and forefinger of the left hand lightly held the yoke. Minor heading corrections were done with the rudder. This gave me lots of time to pick out landmarks, scan for traffic and evaluate possible forced landing locations along the route.

We made it back in 2.5 hours on the Hobbs, whereas the trip down was 3.1. The Dog is such a super flying pal. He cozied up on the back seat and slept the whole way. What a cutie!

Here's a pic of our GPS track. The blue line, going down to UZA, shows the turbulence and cloud-dodging that we had to do. The white line, coming back to JGG, is remarkably straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment