Friday, September 22, 2006

Trike Flight


Last night, John, one of the other owners of 35388 and a great guy I'm glad to call my new friend, took me up in his microlight/trike for a 45-minute open-air tour of Williamsburg and the Chickahominy River. It was a lot of fun! The clothes-flapping-frenetically-in-the-wind feeling reminded me a lot of sky-diving, only this had the pro of not being over in 2 minutes!

John is also doing his private pilot training (he's at ~22 hours) in 35388 and talked about lots of things he's learned along the path, such as the legal altitudes to fly when within range of buildings, people, etc. You can imagine that in a trike like this it's a joy to skim down over the water's surface! It was also neat to get a low-pass view of some areas of the Chickahominy that you otherwise could only access by john-boat or not at all.

I took a lot of pictures, but the dying light and fast fly-by speeds made for a lot of blurry ones. The sunset pictures came out nice, tho! [Flickr set] I also used our still camera to take a video clip of landing back at JGG. Husband has also been up with John; read about his experience here.

One last note... Greybeard reminded me that flying is fun and that if a day of training gets to me, to take a step back, take a deep breath, and reset my perspective (well, that's my wordy version of what he said!). I think if/when learning has me frazzled, I'll ask John to take me for a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment