Saturday, September 23, 2006

Home schooling: Stalls

Last night Husband and I went out to the airport for a short local flight, with a mind of me doing the preflight/securing, taxiing and some of the in-flight maneuvering for practice.

Preflight went fine and taxiing showed improvement, although Husband did suggest to me several times to give a little more margin between us and the other aircraft, which is perfectly reasonable. I need to get over the "driving a car" tendencies to only take up what room I need and leave the rest open for other aircraft should one be met and replace all that with a strategy for centering myself in all available room (and of course following the yellow lines when available). I also thought of an invention: a nice, bright, lighted marquis that would mount to the top of the cabin stating "STUDENT PILOT." That way, when people at the airport see me weaving all over the place, they'll humor me and perhaps politely get out of my way instead of giving me the crook-eye. :) But alas, I guess things that would alter the flight characteristics of the aircraft are bad...

The real highlight of the flight, unfortunately, was the stalls. Husband asked whether he had done any with me before and I answered in the default way: "Probably." I mean, we've been up together a lot, so surely he had, right? He's talked about them at home, and we've talked about stall speeds and angle of attack and all that jazz, so we had probably done them in the air.

No, we hadn't.

I would have remembered that.

Indeed!

It scared the snot out of me. I knew generally what was going to happen. I knew that the plane would drop its nose and that the situation would be quickly recoverable. I have full faith and confidence in Husband and never questioned his ability. The impending-doom screech of the stall warning doesn't bother me and I've heard it plenty before (on landings).

But when that nose dropped so dramatically, and we went so suddenly from what felt like 45 degrees pitched up and flying slowly to 85 degrees pitched down and absolutely diving, my instincts took over and I grabbed on for dear life, tensed up, and maybe even stopped breathing for a sec. I imagine I went pop-eyed, too. I know we weren't diving at 85 degrees, but it was way more dramatic than what I expected. And I can't come up with a better description than dramatic for it.

I had expected the upward pitch, the slow flight, and then a gentle and smooth tipping down and unsurprising recovery. That wasn't the experience.

"Don't do that again."

Husband quickly looked over at me with a look of worry. He knows this reaction was out of character for me. Then he told me that in time stalls will be fun, like roller coasters. I like roller coasters, but I can see the roller coaster track and anticipate what it will feel like when I get to that next hill.

I know I've gotta do them, and I will get used to it, and I will be able to anticipate it, but I need some time to process and digest that and realign my expectations for the next time.

So we did it again immediately. And it was only mildly better. I still did the instinctive brace-for-impact response, but didn't stop breathing. That's progress, right?!?! :)

(I suppose I'm feeling a little melodramatic this morning. I'm surprised by how startled I was yesterday, but am not logically intimidated by the maneuver. Beyond that, in practice it took a lot of effort to get it to stall. Low throttle, flaps deployed, pitched way up (to hold altitude, too)... And then 388 pretty much recovered itself by tipping forward.)

2 comments:

  1. Stalls-
    Thanks for this memory jog!
    Now, let me make a gentle suggestion:
    Yes, you will learn to be comfortable with them. And when you do, see if Chuck, or another instructor he recommends, will find a capable airplane and do stall/spin recoveries with you.
    Your first reaction will be similar, but more dramatic, to your initial reaction to the stall training. But knowing what leads you to the problem, and what to do if/when you find yourself looking at a windshield full of spinning earth and the horizon where the noon-day sun should be, may one day save your life.

    Being anxious is a good thing....
    it makes you alert and ready to learn. But don't be afraid. If you ever learned to drive a car with a manual transmission, you'll surely remember the first time you stopped with the nose of the car uphill and then had a car pull up RIGHT behind you! (How to take foot off brake, slowly release clutch and add throttle smoothly enough to keep the car from rolling back into the other car, and keep your own car from stalling?!)
    Abnormal procedures are all like that...... disconcerting at first, then something to be proud of when you learn to overcome the stress and do the procedure properly.

    And another gentle caution:
    Be careful about having two instructors!
    I know hubby means well...... but,
    well, just be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egad, I don't want to think about spinning an airplane right now! (Eventually, perhaps... Let's master "normal" flight now before the solo... :) ) I can totally agree that actively training for the worst beats crossing the fingers that the worst never comes up, but as for two instructors...

    It will be a balance. Husband has qualified our discussions several times with "... but do what your instructor tells you to do." He's excited to see me learning, he's excited to participate, and I believe he's interested to see the point of view and procedures of an instructor that he didn't learn from. I appreciate the warning, and I figure that the more I talk about everything -- with him, with other pilots, with myself out-loud on this blog -- the more I'll learn and that's a good thing. The more we'll all learn, right?

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete