Saturday, September 23, 2006

Jep Pilot Handbook - Chapters 1-3

You know that I haven't started ground school yet and don't know when I will. Flight lesson #2 is scheduled for Monday, and the syllabus says that it should be preceded by ground school lessons 1-3.

I decided I'd at least do the reading assignments for those lessons and not be "behind the curve."

And I do intend to finish that reading. I read/skimmed Chapter 1, which is about the history of aviation, what is the FAA, why do people start training, etc. I'm on Chapter 2 and it kinda bogged me down this afternoon.

Ch. 2 covers aircraft and equipment. What does it mean to be monocoque v. semimonocoque? How does a float-type carburetor work and why does it ice? I was able to explain the carburetor to Husband, so I take that as a token of understanding, although it feels just like a matter of acceptance, similar to 1+1=2, that increased speed of air flow through a venturi results in lower pressure -- if air is like fluid, then how come when you put your thumb across a hose opening to restict flow the pressure builds up and it sprays out faster?

Anyway, this afternoon I hit a saturation point and had to walk away. I just don't care (at this point) how a supercharger works!

Chapter 3 is what I really want to get to and through -- Fundamentals of flight. The four forces. Surfaces and principles. But tomorrow I intend to finish up the section on why the instruments work and then digest the fundamentals. I can always come back later to the chaff that doesn't apply to my plane or immediate training...

2 comments:

  1. With the hose you are right - except that the pressure is high IN the hose, where you've slowed the water, and the pressure is lower outside the hose, where it has escaped and is going faster.

    It feels more forceful on your hand only because you have focused all the waters energy to a smaller spot but its the same amount of energy as an open hose provides (and same amount of volume/minute flowing).

    http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/page1.php?QNum=128

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason! So it's a conservation of energy thing. Why couldn't the book just say that?

    ReplyDelete