Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thanks, folks!

My parents sent me a few books for my upcoming birthday (thanks, Mom and Dad!). They look like good reads...

101 Things to do with your Private Pilot's License by Leroy Cook

The Killing Zone: How and Why Pilots Die by Paul Craig.

I gotta say, I was a bit taken aback by the killing zone book when I first saw it. I don't think the dust jacket has a sentence on it that's not about doom. If their intention was to get you to read it based on fear, they got their marketing right. But it does look like a good book, and it appears to instruct based on anecdotal lessons -- this went wrong, this is what the pilot did, this is what happened, this is what the pilot should have done -- and I learn very well from that type of instruction. It's broken down into ~20 chapters that focus on accidents caused by different factors or during different stages/types of flight: pilot attitudes, ice, runway incursions, takeoff and climb out, night flying, etc.

Husband is looking forward to reading both books, too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of reading The Killing Zone myself. The hardest part of that read is the fact that the editor appears to have neglected to have it proofread. Substantively, it's great, but the spelling and grammar errors are the worst I've ever seen in a professionally-published text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A similar idea-
    "Flying" magazine published three books based on their "I learned about flying from that" columns...
    readable, stand-alone articles.
    And the neat thing about these books is that the narrative is told by someone that scared the living crap out of themselves, but survived to tell about the experience.

    When you finish reading your books, give us your opinion!

    ReplyDelete