Friday, December 09, 2016

California flying, last flight

Le sigh.  I made these notes and have kept myself so busy I never got back to write it all up!  Now I've forgotten a lot of the details, but I do remember how interesting the approach into Salinas was!  You basically fly past the airport into a valley, pick up a DME arc that swings you around to the ILS, and when you intercept you had better be turning because there's a mountain straight ahead!
 
lunch

self-serve fuel

link to post about traffic on final

clearance, "if not off by ..."
mountainside fire
bad 107 tracking, questioned by ATC
DME arc into Salinas
Leader radial to intercept
Great needle alignment at first, then more squirrely as we got closer
Tower for approach
Low approach, cancel IFR with tower, then VFR back to KSQL
Through the saddle
Over Apple headquarters, saw Moffett(?) field, NASA and Google ops
relatively straight-in for final, slow down to give 1st-to-land cirrus space
bumpy final and ok landing